Thursday 4 April 2013

The People That You Meet (a Bluesfest follow up)

Do you have an opinion on Coal Seam Gas? Chances are, unless you've been hiding under a rock, you've developed one over the last week. And even if you have been hiding you might be wondering about the toxic concoction bubbling to the surface under your rock...

A recent episode of '4 Corners' on ABC TV entitled Gas Leak! has created an tide of media scrutiny over the processes and effects of coal seam gas on the environment. The '4 Corners' story, and much of the subsequent media, has focussed on the lack of any truly independent research into the environmental fallout from the coal seam gas industry. This lack of transparency by the industry is exacerbated by claims that environmental impact reports were fast tracked, with approvals being granted before all the information was known.

Meeting the Stop CSG team at Bluesfest
Only a few days before the program screened I was at Bluesfest talking with the volunteers and activists involved with the Lock The Gate Alliance. Lock the Gate are a group involved in protecting Australia's environmental, cultural and agricultural resources and they are particularly interested in the potential harm of coal seam gas extraction.  It was a fascinating conversation, especially considering I spend perhaps too much of my time engaging on the wrong side of this keyboard in front of me.

Prior to meeting the group at Bluesfest I had read a little about Coal Seam Gas and found myself generally confused by the wealth of contradictory information available. When I'm uncertain or feel ill-informed on an issue I tend to shy away from getting involved until I know more.

Getting information is not always easy though. Especially when your average Google search returns hits in the millions (21,800,000 when I searched 'coal seam gas') That's where talking to people who are passionate and involved can really help. Here's a little of the information and perspectives I was offered by Melissa & Elly whom I chatted with:

  • Only a small percentage of Australia's land is used for crops - One of the big reasons Lock the Gate are locking their gates is because of concern for the viability of agricultural land. Coal seam gas extraction has the potential to contaminate bore water and significantly decrease the available ground water. This may have devastating effects on the 6.5% of agricultural land used for crops
  • The effects are being seen on the ground (literally) - while we talked I heard about farmers in the Northern Rivers region who had seen bubbling in rivers and other previously unknown phenomenon. Now I can't report my personal experience of these events, but as a bystander with a vested interest in food production (we all need to eat!) I believe there is reason to be concerned.
  • Alternate energy sources are being explored - the team at Lock the Gate are actively involved with groups researching solar energy production. Put simply, they are not blind to the fact that Australians consume energy. They just believe that coal seam gas and the hydraulic fracturing that assists it's extraction are dangerous, environmentally irresponsible ways to meet our energy needs.
Those three short points I've discussed are in no way the full story of coal seam gas and the Lock the Gate Aliance's work. I would encourage anyone interested to click on the links I've provided and gather information for yourself. When I chatted with the group though these three points of information were the ones that tipped my opinion in their favour and convinced me to sign their petition. 

Now I write often on social justice issues and the need for average people to be involved. Increasingly the most accessible and efficient way for people to engage is via the internet. My experience up at Bluesfest has reignited for me the power and potential face-to-face engagement. The Lock the Gate Alliance are real people working, fighting and winning battles in their communities for the right to a safe, sustainable future.

It's been a few days now since the end of Bluesfest and the good vibes and music are still running high. I'll continue to write and sign petitions online. But I'll also be wandering up to people with clipboards more often and asking them the hard questions. If they answer as eloquently as Melissa and Elly, they'll get my support too...


No comments:

Post a Comment